The fitted sheet also known as the bottom sheet can present a minor problem when you are trying to fold them to put them away after washing. The elastic corner which help keep the sheet in place when it is on the bed can be hard to fold into a nice neat stack. If you have deep pocket sheets for thicker or pillow top mattresses, the extra material can be even more daunting.
Here are a few tips and tricks that may make the folding of fitted sheets easier.
The sheet will have four sides. Two long sides (length) and two short sides (width). Find the two width corners or top corners.
- Lay the sheet on the bed. Find the elasticized top corner of the sheet. It will be the corner with the stitching. Hold the top of the stitching of both corners so that the elasticized corner falls forward into the inside of the sheet, hold the end of the stitching of each of the two top corners.
- Now fold the sheet by putting the two top corners together. Make sure the material between the two corners is tucked into the fold.
- Now repeat on the opposite side.
- Turn in side edges (the long side) making 4 straight sides.
- Fold the width in half making a long thin strip.
- Fold the strip in half and continue folding until the desired size.
- Place in linen closet.
Now you have learned the technique of folding the fitted sheet but you may need help putting the sheet on the bed. Here are some more tips to guide you through the process:
- For a fitted sheet, slip the corner pockets onto the ends of the bed and adjust the fitted sheet around the outside of the mattress.
- Flick the top sheet so it billows out with the top side lying on the fitted bottom and the large hemmed side should be at the top of the bed. Leave enough room at the bottom to tuck the top sheet underneath the bottom sheet under the bed. There should be an even overhang on both sides. Pull the top up until it is smooth and check that the sheet is hanging off the bed evenly.
- Place a quilt or comforter on the bed. Fold the remaining material of the top of the sheet over the quilt and smooth out the wrinkles with your hand.
- Place pillows on the bed.
You are done.