Sheet set size guide
Here are some helpful hints to help make sure you get the right sheets for the mattress you have. Sheet sets come in a variety of pocket sizes and you will need to know the height of your mattress to determine what the sheet pocket size is.
Measure the mattress from the top of the mattress to the top of the box spring. Place you finger across the top edge of the mattress using a yard stick or measuring tape measure the distance from the top of the box spring to the bottom of your finger. This will determine the pocket size for the mattress.
Here are a handy set of details to help you determine the set you need to buy.
- King Sheet Set – Standard king mattresses are 13 inches or less (76 x 80 inches or 198 x 203 cm) so a standard king sheet set will be perfect. A deep pocket king that measures 14 – 16 inches will need a king sheet set with deep pockets. An extra deep pocket measures 17 – 22 inches and the extra deep pocket king sheet set would be correct.
- Queen Sheet Set – The height of the queen measures just like the king. The queen sheet set for a standard mattress (60 x 80 inches or 153 x 203 cm) will be good if the bed is less than 13 inches. Measurements of 14 to 16 inches will require a deep pocket queen sheet set. 17 inches or greater need to have an extra deep pocket queen sheet set.
- Full Sheet Set – If designed for a standard full mattress (54 x 75 inches or 137 x 190 cm) and can be purchased with thick top padding or pillow top which could change the mattress into a size that requires a deep pocket full sheet set. A full sheet set comes in a variety of pocket sizes including an extra deep pocket full sheet set.
- Twin Sheet Set – Depending on whether you have a twin mattress (39 x 75 inches or 99 x 190 cm) or a twin xl mattress (39 x 80 inches or 99 x 203 cm) you will also need to check the height to ensure you do not buy the standard twin sheet set when you needed the deep pocket twin sheet set.
- Twin XL Sheet Set – The twin xl mattresses are a few inches longer and need the twin xl sheet set. Both the twin sheet set and the twin xl sheet set may need to be checked against the mattress size to ensure the sheets are big enough for deep pocket or extra deep pocket mattresses.
Whether you need a king sheet set, a queen sheet set, a full sheet set, twin sheet set or a twin xl sheet set, you need to ensure you do not buy the wrong pocket size for your mattress.